Tuition & Fees
Shoals Marine Laboratory is committed to making our courses affordable for all!
• Two out of three Shoals Marine Laboratory students received financial assistance last year!
• Every student who qualifies for need-based assistance receives an SML scholarship.
• Financial support includes merit-based, need-based, and multi-course scholarships... and more!
Tuition and Fees
REFUND POLICY AND COVID-19 as of June 3, 2020
Shoals Marine Laboratory will be offering its 2020 courses online due to the COVID-19 crisis. This change to our operations was made with public health and safety in mind, and we understand this will impact students’ decisions to take a course at SML. We endeavor to make the 2020 SML course as dynamic, interactive, and place-based as we can via the digital format; however, we understand it will not be the right fit for all our students.
Refund policy for students who registered and submitted payment prior to May 19, 2020:
- Students enrolled in cancelled courses who do not want to transfer to another course will receive a full refund, minus any transaction fees charged by Cornell or the University of New Hampshire.
- Students enrolled in a course that has transitioned to online format will receive a refund of their room and board costs and will have their scholarship adjusted (if applicable).
- Students who enrolled in a course who choose not to transition to the online format may request a full refund (minus transaction fees).
The refund policy for any students who registered and submitted payment after May 19, 2020 will follow SML’s standard refund policy.
Standard Refund Policy:
Course deposits, room & board, and fees are nonrefundable. Your tuition refund amount will be determined by the number of days from the start of the course that you withdraw.
Refund schedule (days since program start date):
- Days 1–3: 100% tuition refund
- Days 4–5: 50% tuition refund
- Day 6 or later: 0% refund
To withdraw from an SML course:
- Cornell and High School students must notify the SCE Registrar's Office and SML (firstname.lastname@example.org) in writing.
If you want to appeal the refund schedule based on special circumstances, please download and complete the petition form and submit it to B20 Day Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853. The form will be reviewed by committee, and you will be notified if your appeal is approved.
- UNH and Other Undergraduate students must email the UNH Registrar’s Office (email@example.com) and SML (firstname.lastname@example.org). Include your UNH ID and your course number. UNH students should use their official Wildcat email when contacting the Registrar's Office.
If you want to appeal the refund schedule based on special circumstances, please download and complete the petition form.