SML has many resources available to students, interns, faculty, and visiting researchers on Appledore Island. On this page you can find resources and information about Laighton Library and Palmer-Kinne Lab, data archives, publications featuring research conducted at SML, and digital resources that students enrolled through UNH or Cornell can access.
SML has a number of resources available to you on Appledore, as well as publications from past students, researchers, and faculty. We encourage students to explore the wealth of research at SML and draw from the decades of experience around you!
- Laighton Library (second floor of Laighton) is the main library at SML. It is a small collection of various marine topics with an online catalog.
- Three shelves of laboratory guides in PK (Palmer-Kinne) Lab have their own tag in the online catalog.
- SML Data Repository.
- List of publications with research conducted at SML. If you are unable to access one of the linked publications and need access for your research, contact email@example.com.
- Current and past research programs at SML.
- Data archives of completed SML research projects. Contact Dr. David Buck (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions about the data archives.
The resources listed below are free and accessible to all.
All students who are enrolled in an SML course through the UNH registrar have full access to Dimond Library’s databases and electronic resources using your student username and password.
If you are a non-UNH student enrolled through UNH, you should have received an email from IT with instructions on how to activate your account and set up a password. In the event that you did not receive this email, contact the IT Service Desk at 603.862.4242 for assistance.
Only students who are fully matriculated at Cornell have complete access to their databases and electronic resources. Access is gained with your NetID and password. Non-matriculated students may find some limited use in the research guides for BIOG 1500 and BIOEE 1610.
- Biology Databases
- Full Text Articles
- Cornell Catalog
- Research Guide for BIOG 1500 (equivalent to BIOSM 1500 offered at SML)
- Research Guide for BIOEE 1610 (equivalent to BIOSM 1610 offered at SML)
Check with your faculty for their preferred citation format. Be sure to take the time to review the academic honesty policy that applies to you.
Citation Tools and Writing Guides
- Purdue OWL Guides for APA and Chicago Styles
- Seattle Pacific University Library Guide for CSE Style
- Citation Machine
- Safe Use of Citation Machines
- Zotero - Citation management program
- University of Michigan Writing Guides
- Michigan State University: Guidelines for Writing Scientific Papers
Plagiarism and SML Policies