If you'd like to inquire about a visit or have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We encourage you to reach out at the start of the year to book for the coming summer. Thank you!
Shoals Marine Laboratory offers a limited number of dates available for visiting educational groups during the summer season. If you are interested in bringing a group to Appledore Island, please contact our main office to begin planning as early as possible.
Requirements for Bringing a Group to SML
- Group leaders: should have prior experience bringing a group to Appledore Island (knowledge of the island and SML facilities).
- Confirmation Letter: Trips are reserved once group leaders receive a signed confirmation letter from SML staff outlining all trip details and a fee estimate.
- Passenger Manifest: Group leaders must provide a passenger manifest with all participant names at least 2-weeks before the trip.
- Release Forms: Group leaders are responsible for making sure participants sign/complete all release forms.
- Date(s) for trip
- Desired departure time from Portsmouth, NH
- Desired return time back to Portsmouth, NH
- Number of participants expected (Note: SML vessels have strict passenger capacities)
- All participant names, including parent/guardian contact info for all minors (under 18 years old)
- Programming and/or tour needs on-island:
- Include any field work, specimen collection, etc.
- SML staff can provide a trip itinerary, if desired.
- Food/beverage services, if required. (additional cost)
- Optional: select a bad weather/rain date
Fees and Billing
Visiting groups will be invoiced through the SML office after the trip. Payment must be received in a timely fashion. Invoices will be processed through the UNH Financial Operations Center.
Igniting Streams of Learning in Science (ISLSI) from Hiram College in Ohio brought 30 high school students, 5 high school teachers, and 5 undergraduates from Pakistan, together with 12 American mentors for 6 days on Appledore Island. Here's the final group photo with SML students and ISLSI after "Cultural Night" in Kiggins Commons!