ATTENTION: Our 2022 season has ended. Please check back in spring for information about our 2023 summer season. Hope to see you on the island! If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com. Thank you!
Shoals Marine Laboratory offers a limited number of dates available for visiting educational groups during the summer season. If you are interested in bringing a group to Appledore Island, please contact our main office to begin planning as early as possible.
Requirements for bringing a group to SML
Students explore the intertidal zone.
(photo by Jan Factor)
Group leaders: should have prior experience bringing a group to Appledore Island (knowledge of the island and SML facilities).
- Confirmation Letter: Trips are reserved once group leaders receive a signed confirmation letter from SML staff outlining all trip details and a fee estimate.
- Passenger Manifest: Group leaders must provide a passenger manifest with all participant names at least 2-weeks before the trip.
- Release Forms: Group leaders are responsible for making sure participants sign/complete all release forms.
- Date(s) for trip
- Desired departure time from Portsmouth, NH
- Desired return time back to Portsmouth, NH
- Number of participants expected (Note: SML vessels have strict passenger capacities)
- All paricipant names, including parent/guardian contact info for all minors (under 18 years old)
- Programming and/or tour needs on-island:
- Include any field work, specimen collection, etc.
- SML staff can provide a trip itinerary, if desired.
- Food/beverage services, if required. (additional cost)
- Optional: select a bad weather/raindate
Fees and Billing
Vising groups will be invoiced by the SML office after the trip. Payment must be received in a timely fashion. Invoices will be processes through the UNH-EOS Business Service Center.
Igniting Streams of Learning in Science (ISLSI) from Hiram College in Ohio brought 30 high school students, 5 high school teachers, and 5 undergraduates from Pakistan, together with 12 American mentors for 6 days on Appledore Island. Here's the final group photo with SML students and ISLSI after "Cultural Night" in Kiggins Commons!