Shoals Marine Laboratory's Research Internships are specifically designed for undergraduate college students over the summer break. Research interns work directly with faculty mentors and SML scientists to conduct research experiments and projects, combining new areas of discovery with ongoing, long-term monitoring. Internships provide invaluable experience and help develop skills that will increase your marketability when it's time to apply to graduate school or pursue your career aspirations.
SML provides room & board, stipend, and roundtrip boat transportation to and from Appledore Island for all research interns, unless otherwise specified. Internships vary from 2-10 weeks in length, and cover a wide variety of disciplines – from biological research, to science education, to sustainable engineering. SML's research internship program evolves each year (some internships are contingent upon funding or the availability of specific mentors). Please use the buttons below to learn more about each research internship offered this summer.
- Please see individual internship pages for specific application instructions.
- Applicants should be prepared to upload (as separate files): cover letter, resume/CV, and unofficial transcripts.
- Applicants should request two letters of recommendation.
- Undergraduates in all majors, including graduating seniors, may apply.
- Priority is given to students who have previous SML experience.
Email Dr. David Buck