Shoals Undergraduate Research Group
Thank you for your interest in the Shoals Undergraduate Research Group (SURG) opportunities! At this time, our 2021 positions have been backfilled with 2020 applications. We apologize for any inconvenience, and we hope you will explore our 2022 opportunities!
Shoals Undergraduate Research Group (SURG)
Shoals Marine Laboratory's SURG Program is specifically designed for undergraduate college students over the summer break. Undergraduate researchers work directly with faculty mentors and SML scientists to conduct research experiments and projects, combining new areas of discovery with ongoing, long-term monitoring. SURG provides invaluable experience and helps students develop skills that will increase their marketability when it's time to apply to graduate school or pursue your career aspirations.
SML provides room & board, stipend, and roundtrip boat transportation to and from Appledore Island for all SURG members, unless otherwise specified. Programs vary from 3-10 weeks in length, and cover a wide variety of disciplines – from biological research, to science education, to sustainable engineering. SML's SURG program evolves each year (some offerings are contingent upon funding or the availability of specific mentors). Please use the buttons below to learn more about each research opportunity offered this summer.
- All 2021 positions have been filled.
- Please see individual internship pages for specific application instructions.
- Applicants should be prepared to upload (as separate files): cover letter, resume/CV, and unofficial transcripts.
- Applicants should request two letters of recommendation.
- Undergraduates in all majors may apply. Must have at least 1 semester of college remaining.
- Priority is given to students who have previous SML experience.
Email Dr. David Buck