Forms must be completed and returned to SML's main office ahead of your arrival. Research leaders may elect to collect forms from participants and provide to SML as a group package. Visiting researchers will not be permitted to board SML vessels without signed release forms.
If you have any questions about the completion of forms, contact the SML office.
Forms Packet, click to view/print packet.
- Emergency Contact and Health Form – indicate allergies to medicine or foods, and other special needs.
- SML Release and Hold Harmless Form
- Multimedia Agreement and Release Form – please alert SML staff if permission to take photo/video is not granted.
- Suggested packing list. Please note: supplies for your research are not included in this general list. Researchers are responsible for their own equipment and supplies.
SCUBA Diving Research Application:
Divers prepare for subtidal surveys. (photo by Jim Coyer)
Shoals Marine Laboratory is a member of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences (AAUS).
Research divers must apply for approval to SCUBA dive at SML. Click on the link below to view/download the application:
- SML's SCUBA Diving Application
- Forms must be returned to SML's Diving Safety Officer, Becca Toppin.
- Instructions for submission of forms can be found on page 1 of the packet.
- SML's Handbook for Diving Safety (required reading for all approved SCUBA divers!)
SML's Diving Safety Officer (DSO), Becca Toppin, is responsible for approving SCUBA Diving Research Applications. Contact Becca Toppin with questions.