Getting to Shoals - Students
Before arriving to the dock at Portsmouth, NH, you must complete these student forms and waivers. Please make sure all forms are complete so that you are ready to get on the boat!
These forms and waivers include:
- Health history, prescription details, emergency contacts, and insurance information
- Medical treatment and record disclosure form (e-signature required)
- Code of conduct and social ethics form (e-signature required)
- Release and hold harmless form (e-signature required)
- Over the counter medication approval form (e-signature required)
- Multimedia agreement and release form (opt-in or opt-out available)
You can also find a recommended packing list here. If a student is under the age of 18, a parent or guardian must complete these forms on their behalf.
SML provides transportation to and from Appledore Island from the SML dock located at 315 Market Street, Portsmouth, NH.
It is important to note that parking is not available at the dock. If you are driving or being driven, plan to first arrive at the dock, drop off luggage/equipment and then proceed to appropriate parking. Please reference parking information below, and allow yourself enough time to drop your luggage, park and return to the dock before the boat departs.
Day of arrival (first day of course)
|1:45 pm||Participants meet at dock and prepare to board vessel|
|2:45 pm||Vessel departs (Departure time is firm!)|
Day of return (last day of course)
|9:45 am||Vessel departs Appledore Island|
|10:30-11:00 am||Vessel arrives to the Portsmouth dock|
- Summer traffic in coastal New England can be heavy. Please plan accordingly and leave plenty of extra time to get to the dock.
- The SML dock is located next to the Isles of Shoals Steamship Company dock.
- Five-minute loading/unloading parking is available at the dock. Please be mindful of cars shuttling in/out.
- Please use the Travel Info links (see below) to assist you with other aspects of your travel planning.
SML does not provide parking. Parking and any accompanying fees are the responsibility of the program participant.
Long-term Parking (48 hours to 21-day limit)
GO TO THE DOCK FIRST to drop-off your luggage. Find a Shoals staff member and check-in. Allow adequate time to park your vehicle, grab a taxi, and return to the dock for departure. The best long-term parking is available at the Portsmouth Transportation Center (Park & Ride). This lot is located at 185 Grafton Road, Portsmouth off Exit 3 on Rt. 95 in New Hampshire. (If you miss Exit 3, turning around will be difficult!) You must get a taxi from the Park & Ride to the dock (15-minute ride). This lot is free. Fees apply for the taxi ride.
Short-term Parking (Less than 48 hours)
GO TO THE DOCK FIRST to drop-off your luggage. Find a Shoals staff member and check-in. Allow adequate time to park your vehicle, walk or grab a taxi, and return to the dock for departure. The best short-term parking is available at the High St./Hanover St. Public Parking Garage, in Downtown Portsmouth, which is 3 blocks from the main dock. Parking fees apply.
Find The Dock
SML Portsmouth, NH Dock
315 Market Street, Portmouth, NH 03801
Live Island Stats
View a live feed of our island campus from the Radar Tower here!
Appledore's power grid, including solar, wind, generator, and battery status, has a live usage dashboard here.
Click icons to get data from: