Getting to Shoals - Researchers
Researchers include all participants in SML-hosted Research Programs.
Before arrival, make a boat reservation with the Island Coordinator:
- Step 1: Consult our online Boat Schedule for times and departure locations. View Boat Schedule here!
Step 2: Email email@example.com or call (603) 862-5346 to make your boat reservation.
Day of arrival (first day of program):
- Arrive at the dock in Portsmouth, NH at least 1 hour before the scheduled departure time.
- The dock address is 315 Market Street, Portsmouth, NH 03801
- You will be given directions to the dock when you make your boat reservation with the Island Coordinator.
- You will be given parking info when you make your boat reservation with the Island Coordinator.
- Do not miss the boat! Summer traffic in coastal New England can be heavy, please plan accordingly and leave plenty of extra time to get to the dock.
Day of return (last day of program):
- Your return trip will get to the dock in Portsmouth 1-1.5 hours after you leave Appledore Island.
- Please plan adequate time to drop materials off at the dock before departure, especially if you have to park.
Mailing supplies ahead of time? Check our Contact page for mailing addresses.
SML does not provide parking. Parking and any accompanying fees are the responsibility of the program participant.
Long-term Parking (48 hours to 21-day limit)
GO TO THE DOCK FIRST to drop-off your luggage. Find a Shoals staff member and check-in. Allow adequate time to park your vehicle, grab a taxi, and return to the dock for departure. The best long-term parking is available at the Portsmouth Transportation Center (Park & Ride). This lot is located at 185 Grafton Road, Portsmouth off Exit 3 on Rt. 95 in New Hampshire. (If you miss Exit 3, turning around will be difficult!) You must get a taxi from the Park & Ride to the dock (15-minute ride). This lot is free. Fees apply for the taxi ride.
Short-term Parking (Less than 48 hours)
GO TO THE DOCK FIRST to drop-off your luggage. Find a Shoals staff member and check-in. Allow adequate time to park your vehicle, walk or grab a taxi, and return to the dock for departure. The best short-term parking is available at the High St./Hanover St. Public Parking Garage, in Downtown Portsmouth, which is 3 blocks from the main dock. Parking fees apply.
Find The Dock
SML Portsmouth, NH Dock
315 Market Street, Portmouth, NH 03801
Live Island Stats
View a live feed of our island campus from the Radar Tower here!
Appledore's power grid, including solar, wind, generator, and battery status, has a live usage dashboard here.
Click icons to get data from: