Getting to Shoals - Adult and Family Programs
SML provides transportation to and from Appledore Island from the SML dock located in Downtown Portsmouth, NH. It is important to note that parking is not available at the dock. All participants should plan to first arrive at the dock, drop off luggage/equipment and then proceed to appropriate parking. Please reference parking information below and allow yourself enough time to drop your luggage, park and return to the dock.
- The exact arrival and departure times for Adult & Family Programs will be determined in Spring 2019.
- Participants arrive at the Portsmouth dock at least 1 hours before departure time.
- The dock address is 315 Market Street, Portsmouth, NH 03801
- Summer traffic in coastal New England can be heavy. Please plan accordingly and leave plenty of extra time to get to the dock.
- The SML dock is located next to the Isles of Shoals Steamship Company dock.
- Five-minute loading/unloading parking is available at the dock. Please be mindful of cars shuttling in/out.
Please use the Travel Info links (see below) to assist you with other aspects of your travel planning.
SML does not provide parking. Parking and any accompanying fees are the responsibility of the program participant.
Long-term Parking (48 hours to 21-day limit)
GO TO THE DOCK FIRST to drop-off your luggage. Find a Shoals staff member and check-in. Allow adequate time to park your vehicle, grab a taxi, and return to the dock for departure. The best long-term parking is available at the Portsmouth Transportation Center (Park & Ride). This lot is located at 185 Grafton Road, Portsmouth off Exit 3 on Rt. 95 in New Hampshire. (If you miss Exit 3, turning around will be difficult!) You must get a taxi from the Park & Ride to the dock (15-minute ride). This lot is free. Fees apply for the taxi ride.
Short-term Parking (Less than 48 hours)
GO TO THE DOCK FIRST to drop-off your luggage. Find a Shoals staff member and check-in. Allow adequate time to park your vehicle, walk or grab a taxi, and return to the dock for departure. The best short-term parking is available at the High St./Hanover St. Public Parking Garage, in Downtown Portsmouth, which is 3 blocks from the main dock. Parking fees apply.