Teaching at Shoals
If you are interested in offering a class at SML during summertime please discuss ideas for proposed courses with the Executive Director, Dr. Jennifer Seavey, or Associate Director, Dr. David Buck, as soon as possible, and send a written proposal in the format provided by February 1st. For more information on how to propose a course, click here.
Course Enrollment updates:
- For information about registrations and deposits for your course, please contact Samantha Claussen (SML Main Office).
Request Course Supplies & Materials:
- Contact the Lab Coordinator at least one month before the start of your course to request supplies and materials.
- Contact the Lab Manager to review available inventory in the off-season.
- SML provides a small library for course use: View Library Catalog (update in progress during summer 2017!)
- All academic courses are evaluated by students online at the conclusion of each course.
- Faculty should set aside time for students to complete evaluations before students depart Appledore Island.
- To make a new course evaluation or to revise a previous one, meet with Dr. David Buck on-island at least 3 days before your course ends.
- Contact email@example.com for archived course evaluations.
Teaching for Research:
- To support the research of our teaching faculty, we are offering you one free day of room and board for your personal research purposes in exchange for every three days you are paid to teach a SML course. Please click here for more information.
Faculty will be hired by the University of New Hampshire to teach at SML (including Cornell faculty). Please keep a personal copy of all hiring documents you complete.
Faculty pay includes room & board and roundtrip transportation from Portsmouth, NH to Appledore Island.
Travel Reimbursement must be approved in advance with Dr. Jennifer Seavey.
SML prefers guest lecturers to volunteer their time on Appledore.
Paid guest lecturers must be approved by Dr. Jennifer Seavey in advance.
If approved, paid guest lecturers will be compensated, which includes room & board and roundtrip transportation from Portsmouth, NH to Appledore Island.
Faculty must arrange boat reservations for guest lecturers with the Island Coordinator.
All guest lecturers must fill out this form and return it to the Island Coordinator upon arrival.
TEACHING ASSISTANTS (TAs)
TAs will be hired by the University of New Hampshire to teach at SML (including Cornell students). Please keep a personal copy of all hiring documents you complete.
TA pay includes room & board and roundtrip transportation from Portsmouth, NH to Appledore Island.
- Jump to our TA page for more info!