SeaSHOALS: Marine Science Education for Families
|Fun for the whole family!|
Are you ready for a fun and engaging adventure with the amazing child or children in your life?! SeaSHOALS is all about exploration and discovery, using a coastal Maine island as your classroom, playground, and summer getaway!
Roll-up your sleeves and register for a SeaSHOALS adventure to the Isles of Shoals, one of the Maine/NH Seacoast's most intriguing destinations! This introductory program, designed for first-time Shoalers, includes "family-friendly" activities based at the world-renowned Shoals Marine Laboratory on Appledore Island. SeaSHOALS is an amazing opportunity for parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and the special children in their lives, to immerse themselves in marine science! Over the course of the program, you will have the opportunity to:
- Collect intertidal organisms and OBSERVE their unique adaptations using state of the art lab equipment
- Go cruising aboard a Shoals research vessel to learn about Harbor and Grey seals on nearby Duck Island
- Stroll along the trails of Appledore to explore the resident seabirds, and witness, first-hand, all the quirky and fascinating behaviors of Herring and Greater Black-backed Gulls
- Delve into the history and lore of the Isles of Shoals archipelago
Age limit: This unique, and life-changing experience is designed for children 7+ years old. SeaSHOALS is not suited for children younger than age 7.
All children must be accompanied by an adult who will be responsible for supervising the child during the entire stay on Appledore Island. Family groups are fine (2 parents + 3 children), and adults need not be directly related to children (e.g. friend of the family is OK).
'Coastal Carol' has been leading programs for families on Appledore Island for over a decade. Her passion for the marine environment is infectious, stemming from her time on Appledore Island as an undergraduate student in a course at Shoals Marine Laboratory!
Sara Ellis, Ph.D.
Part time faculty, Dept. of Biological Sciences, Univ. of Southern Maine; Biologist, Gulf of Maine Lobster Foundation; Board Member, GOMMEA
'Salty Sara' has a broad background in marine science and a strong commitment to conservation and education. She has studied a wide variety of species including lobsters, octopus, seals, and whales. More recently she has worked on issues of marine biodiversity and ecosystem-based management.
- At least 30 days before departure = 100% refund
- 29-15 days before departure = 50% refund
- Less than 15 days before departure = 0%
SeaSHOALS leaders, Salty Sara and Coastal Carol.
Tidepooling for all!
It's a baby lobster!
Algae under the microscope back in the lab.
Touch tank time with snail racing!
Seashell arts and crafts!
Ahoy, matey! Plenty of fun on boats!