Investigative Marine Biology Laboratory
None. This course is limited to 15 students who are either: a) matriculated students at Cornell, UNH or at any 4-year college or university; or b) incoming freshmen who will arrive at Cornell or UNH in fall 2016.
Equivalent to BioG 1500 at Cornell University.
Cornell students, this course fulfills the following requirements (equivalent to BioG 1500):
- Core Course requirement for Biological Sciences majors
- Introductory Biology Lab experience for Biology & Society majors
- Major course requirement for Biological Engineering majors
- CALS graduation requirement under Physical & Life Sciences courses
- College of Arts & Sciences distribution requirement under Physical & Biological Sciences (PBS) courses
Field and lab intensive marine-based introduction to the scientific method and experimental biology. Students do research under the guidance of instructors. The course is structured around two research projects that explore how marine organisms are adapted to the physical and biotic factors in their environment.
Special note: Students can combine this course with SML's Research in Biology course as part in the Shoals Research Apprenticeship program. Investigative Marine Biology Laboratory is a required pre-requistite for Research in Biology. Students in the apprenticeship program will carry out their own individual research project with guidance and resources from SML. Learn more: